Saturday, February 28, 2009

Competency 6: Databases/Building Block Search




For my building block search I used the ERIC/EBSCO database. My building block search was: I wanted to find reading activities for children to do in the school library.

S1: library=57,300 hits
S2: reading=114,442 hits
S3: elementary school or middle school=87,750 hits

S1+ S2+ S3= 682 hits
Combining my three searches decreased my hits, but the number was still too big. I narrowed it down by searching for only full text which gave me 302 results. This number was still too big. I then decided to narrow the search by years. I searched from 2005-present. This gave me a number of 36 hits. This was manageable. I found one article very useful for my blog. It talks about using children as book reviewers. The children in my language arts class love writing book recommendations for the class. This article would be a great project for the librarian to implement in the library.

Geier, Denise B. (2008, January). Elementary Students as Book Reviewers. Library Media Connection. 26,4, 42.

No comments:

Post a Comment